Did you know…..
- Our church was organized by 7 people on October 21, 1899
- CPC was once called the Alexandria Church
- Church services were suspended for almost a year in 1918 due to the flu epidemic.
- Membership grew from 22 (in 1923) to 122 (in 1943) due to several evangelistic efforts.
- Until the 1930s, the church had met in various places including the homes of its first Pastor, head deacon and head deaconess, Odd Fellows Hall, the Confederate Veterans’ Hall and Elks Hall.
- In July 1932, construction was completed on our first church building located at the corner of Oak Street and Commonwealth Avenue. Seating capacity in this building was 125 people.
- During the 1960’s, the church building was used for pathfinder youth programs, a community service center and school.
- During the 1970s, the composition of the congregation changed as individuals from various ethnic groups began to join the membership.
- The first “International Day” was held on Sabbath, April 7, 1987 featuring people from 25 countries.
- Gary Ehlert who served as pastor from 1990-1993 decided to change our name to Community Praise Center.
- CPC membership is 1059 as of December 2007.
- Our pastoral team includes a senior pastor, youth pastor, children’s pastor, administrative pastor and a lay pastor.
- Over the 100 year history, the church has been served by 24 pastors.
Community Praise Center is a church family, transforming lives in Christ, teaching life through Christ, experiencing the life of Christ.